Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The world is my playground

As I mentioned previously, my friends and I had originally planned to escape to Thessoliniki, Greece this coming weekend. Well, after taking a look at the weather, we decided to push our weekend trips to Greece to a later date in the semester when we can completely enjoy everything the warm climate and beautiful place has to offer. So, at 6:50am on Friday morning, we will be on a bus to Plovdiv! It is the second-largest city in Bulgaria, about a four hour bus ride from Blago, and its history dates back about 6000 years. Being an anthropology major, this is one of the exact reasons why I chose to study for a semester in Eastern Europe. It has some of the greatest, oldest, and most beautiful sites in the world. Plovdiv, here we come.

More exciting news. Spring break - booked! Since a few of my friends have their spring breaks planned out with visiting family members and friends, it will be four of us girls enjoying the 10 day break from the stressful part of college life! We will be flying first to Barcelona and spending three days there basking in the warm weather and seeing the sights. Then we are off to tour Italy! We fly into Rome, will spend a few days there, take a train up the coast to Florence and a couple other sights, and then end up in Milan for our final day where we will catch our flight back to Sofia! Now let's just hope I don't burn through my bank account. I have gotten completely used to the great value of the American dollar here in Bulgaria.


And now I get a little philosophical... oh boy. The world is my playground (as you may have noticed my title of this post). I'm one of those crazy people that believe that the world does not belong to us as humans, and in a way, we as a species have made this planet so much worse than it was before our existence. But I have to say, that as of right now, I'd have to agree with this saying a little bit. I am getting these amazing opportunities to see and experience places many people only dream of going to... and I have to admit, what I have seen so far does reassure me that there is good in people and what we are doing. We just have to watch out for the bad because we will regret it if we don't.

Oh, shoutout to everyone back home... stay warm, Connecticut, and it's okay to be jealous of the 50⁰F weather I'm having :)

2 comments:

  1. Your wisdom out shines your youth. You are becoming quite the accomplished writer, keep it up. I just hope all your travels and adventures don't adversely affect your school work and grades. Remember to keep the goal in sight... Graduation and a degree! ILY tons, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traveling is an education, but you know I do. Love you Dad

    ReplyDelete